Ever since becoming a mum I have less ‘me-time’ and more family time which I love. However, when I get the chance to be alone I enjoy it because I can focus on myself. This year is for that exactly, for self care, self love and self appreciation. Just because I’m a mum I don’t want to lose myself in that title. I’m still the same weird, somewhat funny person I was before motherhood. So I want to share with you some of the things that have helped me to take better care of myself.
- Go for a walk – Living in London everything is so fast paced that it’s difficult to leave that behind. I like to take walks even if it’s to go get fresh flowers or pick up groceries.
- Pamper time – I love a good face mask specially when I know my skin needs a pick me up. I’ve been doing one nearly every week and I’m seeing results! Paint your nails if you have extra time and apply a hair mask.
- Get colouring – This is one of my favourite things, I love colouring books and find it so calming. This is great when you have all the time in the world to just de-stress. Here is one of my favourite books.
- Movie or a Book – I love both but hardly get time for them so when I do get to be alone I’ll try to squeeze one in.
- Podcast or Spotify – I’ve been listening to a couple of podcast that just speak to my soul or get me thinking. Spotify have great playlists to unwind too or make your own one!
- Prep for the following day or week – whenever I have alone time I make a list of the things I need to do. Even if its a mental list just getting your thoughts in order can help.
- Daily affirmations – This is something you can do often in the morning or evening. As humans we tend to compare and doubt ourselves regularly. I find that speaking life into myself and believing in myself has given me the boost I need.
- Say no – Sometimes, it’s okay to say no to big plans for the weekend. Say no to going out and spending unnecessary money. No to wasting your time.
- Cook or clean – I know some people don’t find either relaxing or therapeutic but I do. If I’ve had a long day and want to de-stress I clean. There’s nothing better than going to sleep knowing everything is tidy! I’m a firm believer if everything around you is tidy your mind is tidy and you become more productive.
- Eliminate negativity – There’s nothing worse than having negative people around you and if you do one thing this year its to cut this out. I’ll be honest, because of this I’ve been left with 2 or so friends. I don’t mind because the negativity is gone and now my challenge is trying to be a better everyday. Better me = better friend, wife, mother, sister, etc.
I know things can get lonely when you’re either too busy with work, being a mum or you simply don’t have anyone around you. Getting to be alone has allowed me to be real with myself and work on who I am. Perfection is never going to be achievable but trying to be a better human is. So, use the next day you have alone to practice better self care.